CT 334 History
In the 1920s, State Highway 334 followed today's Route 32 north of Route 190. Route 32 existed at the time, but followed present-day Route 19 instead. In 1932, Route 32 was rerouted to take over SH 334.
The modern Route 334, commissioned in 1963, was created mainly from locally maintained roads. In 1960, the state Committee to Reclassify All Public Roads recommended adding Great Hill Road, Franklin Street and Maple Street to the state highway system. In 1962, Great Hill Road in Seymour and Ansonia became SR 734.
Wakelee Avenue, part of former Route 8, became SR 735 in 1960. Two years later, SR 735 was moved to Franklin Street and Maple Street. In 1963, SR 734 and SR 735 were eliminated in favor of the signed route 334.
Maintenance change on Maple Street
In 1978, an apparent gap in state maintenance on Maple Street, between Franklin Street and Olson Drive, was filled. That section of road passed from city maintenance to state maintenance.
Realignment in Seymour tabled
The 2000 Valley Regional Transportion Plan called for realigning Route 334 between Southwest Road and Fountain Lake in southern Seymour. The project would cost about $4.4 million. In 2010, the project was shelved for lack of state funding.
Rotary converted to roundabout in 2016
Route 188 used to intersect Route 334 in Seymour at a 4-way rotary intersection (the other leg is a local road). This older design allowed higher speeds through the intersection, leading to safety problems. A roundabout was installed here in 2016, part of many new roundabouts being built statewide.